Saturday, August 8, 2009

Queenstown (part deux)

Hello!!

I'm still in Queenstown with Leslie and just wanted to update you a bit on what I've been up to and what my plans are.

We did go bungy jumping the other day off the Kawarau bridge!! It was awesome. Leslie and I actually did a tandem (sp?) jump so she more jumped and pushed me off with her. ;-) It was awesome and the guy at the top who strapped the cord on had a good point. I told him I was from Colorado and he said that skiing was a lot more dangerous than bungy jumping. True. Anyway, it was quite thrill. They even ask if you want to be dunked in the river. Leslie wanted to go waist deep and I did not so we compromised and just got our heads wet. It was super awesome and now I really want to do the nevis jump. It's three times the height and apparently you fall for 8 seconds on that one. Yikes. But awesome. Anyway, I've got pictures from the jump but their just prints so I'll have to show you all when I get back!

Yesterday we went up and skiied Remarks. It's the ski area on "The Remarkables." A good name for what are the most impressive mountains I've ever seen this close to sea level. Leslie and I went with the head chef from the hotel she used to work at. Ski areas here are so different from Colorado. No trees for one, but also the layout is just different. We took a lift up and then hiked for about 1/2 an hour and skiied down the back side of the mountain. I definitely was moaning and groaning on the way up, but it was so beautiful when we got up there I totally forgot about my pain and the way down wasn't too trecherous at all. Lots of powder. On the other side of the area there were terrain parks and oh my god you would never believe how good people are here. And it's not just a few people either. Everyone is so hard core. It's kind of the spirit of Queenstown tho. Play hard. I think I'm getting old tho because I can't quite handle going up skiing every day and drinking every night. And people here work on top of that. It's nuts.

I think Leslie and Mary (her roommate) and I are going to make a bit of a roadtrip to Christchurch on Friday. Turns out Mary has some friends there she wants to see and the timing works out well since Leslie leaves the following Tuesday. So we'll be heading up there and I will just stay with Emily for a bit while I decide what to do next. Christchurch is supposed to be apallingly boring so I'm not sure how long I'll stay, but I might try to find some work there for a bit to try and save some money for more traveling. Also, I've been thinking more about doing the WWOOF thing. Willing Workers On Organic Farms. It's where you go and live with a host family and basically learn organic farming practices and help out. You get free accomodation and food in exchange for your help so it's a good way to save money and also sounds pretty interesting. I also definitely want to check out Wellington sometime soon.

So we'll see where this crazy road takes me!! I miss you all like crazy.

Love, Laura

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sausage Wallet!!!,

    You know me usually I'm a leader not a follower but, I must follow your blog so I can live bi-vicariously through you!
    I'm so glad you've been having an amazing time and being the thrill seeker you are! Bring back that awesomeness with you!
    I'm setting up my Skype sometime early this week so we can have our first conversation... God, I sound like the pathetic girlfriend you left behind. I may be a little pathetic at the moment, but not your GF, I'm too good for you!! ; ) Just kidding Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis your daughter and I are both straight as we have the boy troubles to prove it!
    Anyhoo, my staples are out, Yay!
    I'm registered for class this upcoming semester, get to see Kooza! (the new Cirque De Soliel) show when it comes to Denver in September, getting a Kindle, and heading to Hawaii for a week in October.
    Now just working on any sort of logistics to be able to come and see you...
    Keep going with the blog it's great, and feel free to e-mail me separately with Kiwi boy problems, or hopefully just Kiwi boy awesomeness whenever you want!
    Also, will be hounding you like crazy for an address when you get to Christchurch on Friday so I can send you my pack of Fantasticalness.
    Oh, the WWOOF thing sounds great and I'm thinking a do.
    And, if you want to know more about the second hospital stay I had to endure go to Facebook and read the second note on my profile somewhere titled "The Hospital and I".

    Miss and Love Ya lots,
    B (HSLP)

    ReplyDelete