Monday, August 3, 2009

I'm in Auckland!!

Hello everyone!! Or Kia Ora as they say. I'm not sure if I've got that right. It might mean 'welcome.' But I'll figure it out. I am writing this from the Auckland airport! After going through security three times, customs twice, checking my bag twice, 14 hours of flights, and about 7 hours of sleep later I am waiting at the gate for my flight to Queenstown!!! I had to pay $10 NZ dollars (like $6.50) to use the internet for an hour so this may be short, but I wanted to say hello and let you all know that I arrived safely!! Well, in the country anyway. But I think the worst of the traveling is over. Definitley wishing I didn't have to carry so much stuff. I packed everything into my backpacking backpack and a smaller backpack, but it's still ton of stuff to lug around! If I was a kiwi I wouldn't definitley be looking at me going throught the terminal thinking 'what an idiot American.' But oh well.

Haven't seen much of the landscape yet as it was still dark when we landed this morning at 6:15, but I walked the 10 minutes to the domestic terminal and it smells like the ocean outside. The first thing I thought of when I walked outside and smelled the cold, salty air was that it smelled like Croatia. Funny how we remember smells like that.

So far the Auckland airport is the best organized airport I've ever seen. Signage EVERYWHERE. A nice change from LAX which was horrible, confusing, gross and loud. The long flight was okay tho. Got two full meals, free wine, and no one else was sitting in my row so I could stretch out a bit. Everyone here is very nice. The accent is prettier than I thought it would be and I think it is a little different than Austrailian accents. They use the word 'rubbish' here instead of 'trash.' I like it.

Sorry if that's all boring! I'm sure I'll have much more exciting things to say next time I update. Wish me luck with my last flight and I'll talk to you all soon!

Love, Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment